Thursday, December 22, 2011

Roofin

Weather forecast said mid 40's, low wind, sunny.  Perfect weather to pull a giant piece of plastic over the hoops.  It is generally recommended to do this with 4+ people, but I found out it can be done solo!

I also cheaped out on purchasing a "double layer" roof, because the plastic comes in a 100' roll.  Ostensibly,  50 feet goes to the roof, and the other 50 goes to the end walls.  But instead I doubled over the 100' roll, and I'll use some recycled plastic for the ends.  The double layer roof will add a bit more insulation and add to the longevity of the roof.  Only thing is, it's a 48' greenhouse, that leaves me with ~1foot to hang over the ends.  Given the uneven ground, and wiggly nature of this whole contraption, here's hoping it all fits.

I rolled out the plastic, and doubled it over.  looks like it reaches where it's supposed to go.


Then I tied ropes to tennis balls under the plastic, and started pulling it over the top.


There was much running up and down the length of the greenhouse to pull the plastic straight.  Tug here, tug there, pull it back the other way.  Check all the corners.  Do I have enough to close up the sides?  Pull it back again, etc. etc.


Voila!  With 2 inches to spare on the sides, it all fit very nicely.   It almost looks useful!




1 comment:

  1. Congrats Dave! Doing the work of four using tennis balls- the "mighty" farmer

    ReplyDelete