Thursday, February 2, 2012

Coop 2.0

After completing the first coop, I thought that the birds still needed a bit more space.  They will all cozy up fine together, with room to spare, but there were not quite enough nesting boxes.  Also, I needed something a bit more portable if I wanted the chickens to clean up a crop on the other side of the field.  (That's another way they earn their keep, field cleanup!)

A few years ago I built a mini greenhouse using 1" plastic tube, bracketed to a wooden frame.  The general construction idea was the same.  Luckily I had some 1" brackets left over from the greenhouse construction.  (always good when you finish a kit-type project and have parts left over, right?...)
And I had some of the same 1" tube leftover.  Had to buy some 2x6s though.


Then I added nesting boxes to the back and wrapped some leftover wire fence over the hoops.  Conveniently, the fence was 4' wide, so just two passes with the fence.  This will help support the roof. prevent chicken exploration, and let me secure the coop later on if needed.
I added perches made of branches, and another cross piece to hold the feeder.

There we go, a super mobile coop.  



1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr. Farmer of Blue Bell Farm. I love this coop. I'll think I might have to make one just like this summer.

    ReplyDelete