Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Maine Organic Milling

Did you know our chickens vote with their forks?...  uh...

How about some background:  Years ago I created the website www.3VotesADay.org to promote the concept of supporting your local food system.  I sold stickers that said "Vote With Your Fork" (I still do actually).  The idea is that when you buy stuff, you are casting a 'vote' for the system that brought you that product.  So, buying veggies from your local farmer is a vote for a fellow community member, a vote for your local working landscape and a vote for small scale agriculture.  This in turn gives you a safer, more intimate connection with your food.  There is more of me jabbering about the idea at 3VotesAday.org.

I want to use this same 'Vote With Your Fork' philosophy with products that I need to buy for the farm.   This week I needed to buy chicken feed, so I went to Maine Organic Milling in Auburn.  
With the improved network of organic farms, a group found it possible to start an exclusively organic grain processing facility.  They blend all the grains right there, so they can get the best quality feed.  It's a great component of our local food network.  I'll vote for that!






 It's also pretty fun to pull up to these big old silos.


And here are some of the buff orpingtons, and a black australorpe happlily ranging about after snacking on  the new feed.

The big buff rooster.

The rooster and the ladies at the bottom end of the chicken pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment