Monday, May 7, 2012

Meet your veggies

Following a conversation with one of you fine CSA members, yes, there will be vegetables!  Let's bring out the lovely contestants:


Hi, I'm a ruby red chard, I'm a month and a half old, but will really come into my own in another few weeks.  You could try me now in a salad, but I'll be delicious sauteed with some garlic and lemon early summer.

Hi, I'm a russian garlic.  I started life last october and was the first thing planted at Blue Bell Farm!  I've still got the whole summer to grow, but I might have some scapes to sample...


Yellow Storage onion here.  I started back in February on a light table at Dave's apartment.  It's been a lot of moves for me, but I finally found my home in the soil.  Feed me!
  Later in the fall I'll be a great staple of anything you cook.


I'm a Buttercrunch head lettuce. I'm about a month old and will be ready really soon!  I am a key part of any salad.



Hi, Arugula here.  I got direct seeded outside, in the cold a few weeks ago, without any of that coddling the onions got.  My pungent spiciness will be awesome in sandwiches in another month.


Hello, I am a Brussels Sprout.  Brussel Sprout?  I always forget if I'm supposed to add the "S" at the end.  I've been here a while, and you won't see me till the fall, but don't worry, I'm working hard.  I like it when it gets a little frosty out there.


Hey!  I'm a pepper!  I happen to be a sweet bell pepper, but my close relatives the cayenne, anaheim and jalapeno look about the same.  Cross you fingers for warm weather, and  I hope to see you in July!


Hi, I am dill.  Can't wait for pickle season!


 Hello, I am a chive, er chives.  We are chives?  Chive plant?  I am several chive seeds, started in February, but it's been slow growing in this hoop house.  Where's the thermostat?!  Oh,... no thermostat?
Hey, I'm a scallion.  I don't know what the chives are complaining about.  I got here at the same time and love it here.  I'll be ready really soon.


Hi there, I am a turnip and need to be thinned.  Yo dave!  Thin me!  I need to size up for the first delivery!


Hi I'm a carrot,  I've been here for a few months now and hope to be ready for your first delivery too!


Kale, you know me.  Let's go.  



Hi I am claytonia.  I've been in the hoophouse since february too!  I'm great in salads and sandwiches right now.


Hello, I'm a beet.  Check out my awesome red stems.  Give me another month and I'll be ready to be steamed and served with cheddar, or grated with salads.

Hello, I'm the new guy, potato.  Just got here.   I'll be making lots of tubers this summer.

Thanks folks!  There's plenty other veggies to come so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! so many amazing veggies in one place. Wishing I was in the catchment area of the farm. Awesome work Dave et al.

    ReplyDelete